It has been a while since I updated the blog post on what is in my sketching kit. I have added a few things since 2012 but am generally still using the same gear.
I have tried out a few different journals over the past few years. The Milini, the Moleskine watercolour (whilst I love the paper quality I hate the landscape format), but have settled on the Stillman and Birn Alpha series sketchbook. When I am out sketching I prefer to the A5 portrait size with a hardbound spine rather than spiral bound, so that I can draw across both pages.
Here is a list of what I currently use:
- Stillman and Birn A5 (Alpha series) sketchbook with white paper, I love these journals, the paper is 150gsm so it does buckle a little bit when I add watercolour but I love the quality, colour and size of these guys;
- I have the Moleskine A4 size watercolour sketchbook, I bought this to try out the larger format and whilst I do like the paper, I rarely use it.
- I also was given the tiny moleskine watercolour and never used it because it seemed to small. Then I thought about using it for a theme or series, and it got me motivated again. I currently am using it as a field guide for animals and plants I find on the farm and blog about it here.
- Winsor and Newton pocket sketch kit. I have replaced the pans with artist quality paints, and have been adding a squirt of Daniel smith cobalt teal blue, and Daniel Smith Quinacridone Rose to the left and right side of where the little brush goes. I love these two colours in my kit and use them a lot;
- Two pentel water brushes that I love for their ease of use out in the field. I use a fine and a medium tip brush;
- Two Pigma Micron pens in size 03 and 08. I am not a fan of these pens. I bought 5 pen pack of the range of nib sizes when I first started sketching because I had heard such good recommendations, but I find that the ends are too flimsy and always push in if you are not really gentle. They are great for putting a watercolour wash over the top of and never run, but I will not be getting more when these ones die;
- Uni-ball Micro deluxe black waterproof pen. These are my favourite pens they are cheap and flow well and don’t run when covered with watercolour;
- Uni-ball Signo white gel pen;
- Uni-ball Signo fluoro pink gel pen;
- Uni-ball Signo Gold gel pen;
- A graphite pencil, eraser and sharpener.
So that’s it for now, I am always fighting the urge between making my kit simpler and buying more stuff. What about you? What are your favourite supplies?.